Terms of Service
Updated August 2019
As a general matter, you can browse the site without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. We will use reasonable efforts to securely process all personal information you provide to us in particular, those related to the following requests:
- Access to your personal information;
- Correction of the personal information that we hold;
- Deletion of your personal information;
- A restriction of processing of your personal information;
- Transfer of your personal information to another party; or
- Objection to the processing of your personal information based on our legitimate interest (or those of a third party) to use it and there is something about your particular situation that causes you to object to such processing.
In other words, we rely on some information from users in order to provide our services, but ultimately it’s your decision what services you enroll in, and whether you continue to enroll or delete your information.
We hold your information and use it as described in these terms and will use reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is only transferred to third parties (for example, Zoom for webinar registrations) who also maintain good standards of protection.
We have a legitimate interest in collecting and processing your information.
Our Mission is to transform the advocacy of nonprofits and foundations by mobilizing networks of people to drive change forward. We help build new people-powered networks connecting network managers, leaders and supporters across movements to solve problems, collaborate, share ideas, inspire each other. We aim to serve and support you -- the community activists, leaders, experts, and other individuals -- advocating for progress and improvements from the status quo. And pursuing these aims is not in conflict with your rights. This provides our lawful basis to use your personal information, within the limitations set forth herein.
Data Sharing Overview
The Netcentric Campaigns (NC) websites netcentriccampaigns.org (along with all embedded and customized tools for webinars, email, forums, etc. of which hereafter referred to as the “Site”) is operated by Netcentric Campaigns. Netcentric Campaigns is a nonprofit organization (“We” or “Us”). Netcentric Campaigns a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of Delaware.
NC is committed to helping you connect with services, events and other people working on the NC. Our team and volunteers use the site too, and we treat your data sharing as we do our own. These Terms of Service are not only the legal document but they are our declaration of how we manage the data you give us about you, your work and your interests.
Agreement Between Us
We collect and use your information only where: we need it to provide you the site and services, including to operate the site, provide customer support and personalized features and to protect the safety and security of the services; it satisfies a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your data protection interests), such as for research and development, to market and promote the site and to protect our legal rights and interests; You give us consent to do so for a specific purpose, or we need to process your data to comply with a legal obligation. If you have consented to our use of information about you for a specific purpose, you have the right to change your mind at any time, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place.
By visiting our Website, you are accepting the practices described here in our Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the terms of this Terms of Service, please do not use the site.
Why We Collect Data
Our mission is dependent on building a network, supporting collaboration among users. We want the site to work well for you. This means sharing information through the site with other users, making some of the data public and as needed with certain third parties.
- On the site, you can create content, which may contain information about you, and grant permission to others to see, share, edit, copy and download that content based on settings you or your administrator (if applicable) select.
- Collaboration features of the site display some or all of your profile information to other users when you share or interact with specific content. For example, when you comment on a webinar, we display your profile picture and name next to your comments so that other users with access to the card understand who made the comment. Similarly, when you join an event, your name, profile picture and contact information will be displayed in a list for other team members so they can find and interact with you.
- News that you ask us to promote can be made publicly available, meaning any content posted on that webinar, including information about you, can be publicly viewed and indexed by and returned in search results of search engines. You can check the webinar or talk with the moderators to confirm whether a particular online meeting/ webinar is public or private.
- Training people and linking you and your content with other people that go through the training and same exercises. .
- The site offers public and network only accessible blogs, forums, bug trackers, webinars, and wikis. You should be aware that any information you provide in these websites - including profile information associated with the account you use to post the information - may be read, collected, and used by any member who accesses websites. Your posts and certain profile information may remain even after you terminate your account. We urge you to consider the sensitivity of any information you input into the site and services.
- Responding to your inquiries;
- Personalizing content and experiences on our Website, including providing you with recommendations based on your preferences;
- Sending you newsletters, mailings, and information about programs, initiatives, activities, and events by e-mail or another medium;
- Event or program registration;
- Optimizing or improving our programs, services, and operations;
- Research and development;
- Verifying your account and account activities;
- Detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- Performing statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Website and their usage patterns; and
- Managing our organization
- We share information with third parties that help us operate, provide, improve, integrate, customize, support and market our site.
- We work with third-party service providers to provide website and application development, hosting, maintenance, backup, storage, virtual infrastructure, payment processing, analysis and other services for us, which may require them to access or use information about you. If a service provider needs to access information about you to perform services on our behalf, they do so under instruction from us, including abiding by policies and procedures designed to protect your information.
- We work with third parties who provide consulting, support and technical services to deliver and implement projects and initiatives related to the site and our mission. We may share your information with these third parties in connection with their services, such as to assist with localized support and to provide customizations.
- Links to Third-Party Sites: The Services may include links that direct you to other websites or services whose privacy practices may differ from ours. Your use of and any information you submit to any of those third-party sites is governed by their privacy policies, not this one.
- Communicating with you about your account or transactions with us and sending you information about features on the site.
- Communicating with you about changes to our policies;
- Compliance with Enforcement Requests and Applicable Laws; Enforcement of Our Rights: In exceptional circumstances, we may share information about you with a third party if we believe that sharing is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including to meet national security requirements, (b) enforce our agreements, policies and terms of service, (c) protect the security or integrity of our products and services, (d) protect our users or the public from harm or illegal activities, or (e) respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person.
What We Use Data For
In addition, with your explicit permission, we pass along certain of your information to the following groups (as is standard practice):
- Other network leaders and people like you that are organizing projects, events, etc. that you want to collaborate and opt-in to engage.
- We use it to communicate with you and send emails to you as you ask us to.
- We use it to respond to your comments, questions, and requests, provide customer support and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and administrative messages.
- We use it to send you reminders.
- We use it to advance training work and build the content and ideas other people in the training can review and learn from.
- We use information about you to authenticate you when you log in, provide customer support, and operate and maintain the site. For example, if you give us your name and picture, we use it to identify you to other site users. We share the information with each other in the network.
- We also send you communications as you onboard to a particular site service (like a webinar) to help you become more proficient. These communications are part of the services and in most cases, you cannot opt out of them. They are part of a registration process. If an opt-out is available, you will find that option within the communication itself or in your account settings.
- Further information about how we use personal information in connection with particular types of campaigns.
- To market, promote, and drive engagement with the site and mission-related projects.These communications are aimed at driving engagement and maximizing what you get out of the site.
- Customer support: We use your information to resolve technical issues you encounter, to respond to your requests for assistance, to analyze crash information, and to repair and improve the Services. Where you give us permission to do so, we share your information with technical vendors for the purpose of responding to support-related requests.
- On occasion, for safety and security: We use information about you and your site use to verify accounts and activity, to monitor suspicious or fraudulent activity and to identify violations of policies.
With your consent: We use information about you where you have given us consent to do so for a specific purpose not listed above. For example, we may publish testimonials or featured stories to promote the site and mission, with your permission.
We do not share what you’ve given us with unaffiliated groups without your explicit permission. We may share some of your personal information with certain affiliated groups. For example, Affiliated Third Parties and contractors – such as our database administrators – for the sole purpose of helping us do our work. These contractors and services do not share your personal information or use it for any purpose other than as instructed by us.
How We Collect It
You give it to us. As a general matter, you can browse the website without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. In addition to the information you provide us, we collect certain additional information on the Site to help us improve our organizing and matching making with you with projects and to otherwise better serve our mission. We collect reasonable data from interaction with our team and site. Here are all the ways that data about you end up as data that we collect or may have in storage.
- When you register for an account on the website;
- When you sign up to receive email newsletters from us;
- When you participate in surveys, panels, or research;
- When you register for and participate in our programs, activities, initiatives, and events;
- When you request information or assistance;
- When you participate in social media accounts involving NC;
- When you register as a volunteer
- When you attend a webinar or online meeting;
- When you sending messages through our site to others or otherwise filling out forms on the site.
- When you host a webinar, serve on an online panel discussion or workgroup.
- When you participate in a webinar or recorded video and give permission for the app to use the mic and camera, join an online discussion, meeting, or workgroup.
- We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for projects or to help plan our work and activities, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Certain information about the usage of the site.
- You also have the option of adding a profile photo, bio, and other details to your profile information to be displayed in the site.
- We keep track of your preferences and the Content you provide through our Site. Content also includes the files and links you upload to the site.
- We may store information you provide through our support channels: The Site includes customer support, where you may choose to submit information regarding a problem you are experiencing with a Service.
- When you reach out via email with a technical request, open a support ticket, speak to one of our representatives directly or otherwise engage with our support team, you will be asked to provide contact information, a summary of the problem you are experiencing, and any other documentation, screenshots or information that would be helpful in resolving the issue.
- We collect information about you when you use our site including browsing our websites and taking certain actions within the Services. We keep track of certain information about you when you visit and interact with any of our Services. This information includes the features or services you use, frequently used search terms; and how you interact with others on the site.
- For some users, we also may collect via automated or manual searching links to news about you, your bios, headshots, awards, or other public information about you to help drive attention to your works, webinars, events that you are promoting. We do this to increase awareness of your work to others in the network.
- When you interact with any site or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Tumblr, YouTube, Process.st, or Pinterest, or when you use your social media account or credentials to log in to the website, we may also collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or through that account, including your account ID or “handle.”
- In addition, when you interact with the website, our servers may keep an activity log that does not identify you individually (“Non-Personal Information”).
- We may collect certain demographic data such as age, gender, and five-digit zip code as part of collecting personal information;
- We collect and store certain device information about your computer, mobile device, or other devices that you use to access the website. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information;
- We automatically log certain usage information about your use of the website. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view on our site. We use this information to provide you with a more customized experience on the website;
- We collect and store additional “traffic data” such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses; and
- We also collect and store certain other information regarding our users’ use of the website so that third parties may provide us with reports and analysis regarding usage and browsing patterns of the website.
In order to give you tools to make your voice heard and share ideas with others, the website may contain online petitions, announcements, letter-writing tools, message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards and other interactive features (we will call these things "Interactive Services") that allow you to petition, post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other members of the public (we’ll just refer to all of these acts as making a "post") content or materials (what we will call "User Contributions") on or through the website.
All User Contributions must comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
We will consider any User Contribution you post to the site non-confidential and we will treat it as not owned by you or anyone else. In order to further the mission of this site or the mission of NC, we may use, copy, distribute or disclose this material to other parties.
In order to make sure we know that we can use this material in these and other ways, we will take your posting this material to mean that you confirm and warrant that you own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant us and the site and its affiliates the license to use this material as we discussed above.
When you post material to the site your doing so means that all of your User Contributions do and will comply with these terms, and you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless us and affiliates and licensors for any breach of that representation and warranty.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, and you, not us, have full responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy, and appropriateness.
Because the purpose of this website is to empower you and we cannot review everything that is posted to the website in advance, any content and/or opinions uploaded, expressed or submitted to the site, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by us, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity submitting them and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of anyone on the site or supporting it. We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or any other user of the website and you agree to bear full responsibility for the content you post to the website.
How You Can Control It
We will never sell your data. You have a right to privacy. We endeavor to share your personal information only with partners who will respect your personal information.
You have the right to opt-in to all the work on the NC. Once you opt-in, you may withdraw your consent to our sharing of your personal information with partners and co-sponsors at any time by following the opt-out process.
Other Important Policy
Information storage and security
We use data hosting service providers in the United States to host the information we collect, and we use technical measures to secure your data. While we implement safeguards designed to protect your information, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, is absolutely safe from intrusion by others. We will respond to requests about this within a reasonable timeframe.
How long we keep information
How long we keep the information we collect about you depends on the type of information, as described in further detail below. After such time, we will either delete or anonymize your information or, if this is not possible (for example, because the information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your information and isolate it from any further use until deletion is possible.
Account information: We retain your account information until you delete your account. We also retain some of your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements, to support business operations and to continue to develop and improve our Services. Where we retain information for Service improvement and development, we take steps to eliminate information that directly identifies you, and we only use the information to uncover collective insights about the use of our Services, not to specifically analyze personal characteristics about you.
The information you share on the Services: If your account is deactivated or disabled, some of your information and the content you have provided will remain in order to allow your team members or other users to make full use of the site. For example, we continue to display comments and content you provided to webinars or other content.
Sign up: If you have elected to receive update emails from us, we retain information about your preferences unless you specifically ask us to delete such information. We retain information derived from cookies and other tracking technologies for a reasonable period of time from the date such information was created.
URLs contained in emails may contain an ID that enables us to correctly identify the person who takes an action using a web page. We use these URLs to simplify the process of signing petitions and filling out surveys. We may occasionally present a shortened URL that references a longer URL which contains an id—we do this to simplify the display, to prevent links from becoming broken when copied, and to ensure compatibility with email programs which do not handle long URLs. When a shortened URL is displayed in an email, you will see the full URL in the browser's address bar when you access the page.
Links to Other Websites
Our policy towards children
The Services are not directed to individuals under 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact our support services.
You may use the site only for lawful purposes and in accordance with this policy.
You agree not to use the website:
- For any commercial purpose.
- In any way that violates any applicable national, regional, federal, state, local and international law or regulation. For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any "junk mail", "chain letter" or "spam" or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate another user, or person or entity (including, without limitation, the use of e-mail addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing), or to register to use the site on behalf of any group or entity.
- To harvest or collect email addresses or other contact information of Users from the Service or the Site by electronic or other means for any purpose.
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone's use or enjoyment of the site, or which, as determined by us, may harm us or users of the site or expose them to liability.
- in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party's use of the site, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the site.
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic devices, process or means to access the site for any purpose, including to monitor or copy any of the material on the site.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the site or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the website.
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the site, the server on which the website is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to the site.
- Attack the website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Attempt to interfere with the proper working of the site.
Monitoring and Enforcement; Termination
In order to ensure that this website is used only for its intended purpose and that no use of the website endangers our mission, We have the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason. This is a decision we will strive to make fairly, but ultimately it is a decision that is solely up to us to make. It will be our general practice, however, to consult with users to determine what user contributions users view as advancing our mission. At all points in this process, we will welcome feedback from the uses on how we make these decisions as it is the community’s ability to achieve our mission that we are here to serve. We reserve final judgment on upholding this requirement.
- Take any action with respect to any User Contribution that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion if we believe that such User Contribution violates the agreement, including the Content Standards, infringes any intellectual property right or other rights, threatens the personal safety of users of the site and the public or could create liability for us.
- Disclose your identity to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy. We will not do this lightly, but if we think it has the potential to facilitate a fair and just resolution of the dispute or will protect us from liability for which we are not responsible, we may take this step.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the site when we determine law enforcement is the proper and appropriate means for addressing the offending use.
- Terminate your access to all or part of the site for any violation.
We cannot review all material before it is posted on the website, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this paragraph.
These content standards apply to any and all User Contributions and Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable national, regional, federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. In addition, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes, and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us or any other person or entity if this is not the case.
Should there be a problem as a result of your use of the website, we cannot be responsible for that. By agreeing to these terms, you agree to be responsible for the consequences flowing from your use of the site. That means that you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless us, affiliates and licensors and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, licensors and suppliers from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses or fees (including reasonable attorneys' fees) resulting from your violation of these Terms or your use of the website, including, without limitation, any use of the website's content, services and products other than as expressly authorized in these Terms or your use of any information obtained from the site.
Copyright Infringement and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
If you believe that any User Contributions violate your copyright, you may notify us of your suspected copyright infringement. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable law, it is the policy of the site to terminate, in appropriate circumstances, the user accounts of users who are deemed to be repeat infringers.
Limitation of Liability
We do not assume any responsibility for, and will not be liable for, any damages to, or any viruses that may infect your computer, telecommunication equipment or other property caused by or arising from your access to, use of, or browsing this Website, or your downloading of any information or materials from this Website. We do not guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to our Website or Services, and operation of the Website may be interfered with by numerous factors outside of our control.
In no event will NC, or any of its officers, trustees, directors, employees, agents, successors, members, volunteers, or assigns, nor any party involved in the creation, production or transmission of this Website, be liable to you or anyone else for any indirect, special, punitive, incidental or consequential damages (including, without limitation, those resulting from lost profits, lost data or business interruption) arising out of the use, inability to use, or the results of use of this Website, any Websites linked to this Website, or the materials, information or services contained on any or all such Websites, whether based on warranty, contract, tort or any other legal theory and whether or not advised of the possibility of such damages. You specifically acknowledge we shall not be liable for user submissions or the defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of any third party and that the risk of harm or damage from the foregoing rests entirely with you. The foregoing limitations of liability do not apply to the extent prohibited by law. Please refer to your local laws for any such prohibitions. In the event of any problem with this Website or any content, you agree that your sole remedy is to cease using this Website. In no event shall total liability to you for all damages, losses and causes of action whether in contract, tort (including, but not limited to, negligence), or otherwise exceed twenty-five dollars ($25.00).
Waiver and Severability
1875 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington DC 20006
- Aug. 2019 - Added webinar online and video training permissions and data management.
- July 2019 - Updated, crowdcastio to Zoom for Webinars, cleaned copy and formatted.
- August 2018 - Starting Terms of Data Sharing